- Locate the electrical hook-up box in an area where it will be protected from direct rain and accidental contact, particularly from moving vehicles.
- Warnings Treat electricity with respect.
- Locate the two probes in the two hot receivers, one probe to each receiver, and the reading should be volts.
- Always consult the manufacturer's literature and local codes to ensure your installation is correct.
- The terminal screw will be painted white.
The color coding for the wires will typically be red to a hot terminal, black to a hot terminal, white to the neutral terminal and green or bare to ground. Connect the white wire to neutral bus-bar. Tip Surge protectors will not function properly if the circuit into which they are plugged is not connected to ground. The supply to the breaker board will typically be split single phase, meaning two hot wires serve the breaker board along with a single neutral connection and a single ground connection.
The RV hookups to know before your first trip
Forcing a volt plug into a volt socket would at best result in a dead short, and at worst in every appliance being burned out and a risk of fire. The color coding for the wires will typically be black to the hot terminal, white to the neutral terminal and green or bare to ground. Always consult manufacturer's literature and local codes to ensure your installation is correct. Connect the red wire to one terminal on the outlet side of the breaker, blog about 2 friends and connect the black wire to the other terminal on the outlet side of the breaker. Do not confuse the R with the volt household outlet familiar from its use in powering clothes dryers and cookers.
It Still Runs
Items you will need Electrical hook-up box Master disconnect switch Circuit breaker Wire Basic electrical tool kit. Decide what level of provision the electrical hook-up box must answer. This article was written by the It Still Runs team, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. Connect the green or bare wire to the grounding block. The red and black wires are interchangeable, meaning that it does not matter which hot receiver either wire is connected to.
Can You Hook an RV Up to Your Home s Electrical System
- To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more about It Still Runs, contact us.
- Protect the electrical hook-up box with a master disconnect switch and an appropriately-rated circuit breaker installed between it and the power supply.
- The terminal screw will be painted green.